The idea of the Blog is to support a small Charity and this season we have chosen "Nottingham Stroke Club". A small charity that relies on fundraising with no paid workers. It offers support to Stroke victims and hold day meetings every Thursday to include a Quiz, lunch, chair exercises and also day trips and holidays. We are to sponsor 25p for each goal we see scored during the 2019-2020 season at matches we attend. Any clubs that would like to pledge or friends/fans please contact me


Nottinghamshire FA Saturday Senior Trophy
Quarter Final
With the wife Hazel away at her daughters up in Preston for her birthday this weekend, Hazel's brother offered to have Shawn for a couple of hours whilst I went to the footie, just over the road is Unwin Road and Blidworth Welfare Reds ground and I noticed that the match had been moved forward by 30 minutes to a 1pm kick off. Since visiting last season, the Reds have moved pitches and also got a hot water urn to make refreshments which were most welcome.

The tie kicked off with the visitors creating most of the chances, whilst the Reds had to re-shuffle due to a early injury to one of their defenders who limped off. The home keeper was also keeping the scores level.

The Second Half sprung in to action and on 51 minutes, the visitors were awarded a free kick just inside their own half, which was hit long and MARCUS BROWNE rose and guided his header in to the net.

Within 3 minutes and the visitors had doubled their lead, when a ball was played in to their captain LUKE DABELL  turned and shot in to the net from the edge of the area.

Blidworth Reds then upped their game and pushed forward and on 61 minutes LIAM STRAFORD cut in from the left side and fired home to cut the arrears in half.

The Reds continued to take the tie to their visitors and on 64 minutes were on level terms, when awarded a penalty, JAMES HENRY took the penalty which was palmed out but he was first to react and knocked the ball home.

The tie went from end to end and on 83 minutes, a mistake in the Reds defence saw MARCUS BROWNE pounce and prod the ball home for the visitors to re take the lead.

Well in to injury time came a controversial and sour ending to a very good tie, when the Reds broke forward and Liam Stratford stroked the ball in to the corner of the net, Reds celebrated their equaliser, when the referee went over to the club Assistant Referee who had raised his flag to say that the ball had gone put of play before the ball had been crossed, the referee stood by the club assistant referees decision and the goal was disallowed,it was a shame for the game to end like this as both sides had played some good football in a good flowing game


Samba Nottinghamshire Senior League
Division Two
Was going to Kimberley MW Reserves v Gedling Southbank but after a 10am inspection, the match was called off, so it was to the drawing table, as I visited 2 of my sisters in Eastwood and in Bilborough, most games were 2pm kick offs not giving me much family time, but I got a call back from Ravenshead Reds Secretary Kevin Pinner to say their 3pm match was def on.

Earlier in the season, I saw the reverse fixture of this match, where the Reds won 5-0, but for both sides there have been a lot of changes.

All Whites have appointed former Rolls Royce man John Cheetham at the helm of a very young side, who to be honest in the first half of the match had their chances and played some very good fast football.

The game kicked off as previously said, All Whites were on the front foot pressing and having some good chances, as I stood on top of the hill overlooking the pitch with Ravenshead FC(not Reds) manager Ross Hardwick and soon joined by the chairman Mark Yates and his young son.

It came as no surprise when a ball squared across the Reds 6 yard box was tapped home by RYAN MILLS on 16 minutes, it looked like the All Whites could well add to their tally but that just didnt happen and they were punished on 32 minutes, when BRAD MARTIN fired home the equaliser.

Within 2 minutes, the Reds had turned the game around and went in to a 2-1 lead. All Whites pressed forward but this left gaps at the back and on the stroke of half time, the reds added their third goal of the match.

At Half Time we were joined by local Councillor Martin Smith who attends most matches down at the Cornwater and is a great supporter of local grassroots football of all ages, as he shot off to tell a bloke off for letting his dog off his lead, he missed a couple of |Reds goals to make it 5-1 after 52 minutes, this seemed to knock the stuffing out of the young lads from Clifton and their keeper made 2 very good saves, plus the Reds hot the crossbar twice.

In the 86th minute came the end of the scoring when the Reds made it 6-1 for a well deserved win for them, but All Whites will win games this season in games here they finish their chances and luck goes their way.

Sadly I couldnt see who got all the goals but the goalscorers for the match are as follows:

Ravenshead Reds FC

Clifton All Whites Development FC

Referee James Green had a very good match in my opinion in only his second match in the Nottinghamshire Senior League.


Samba Nottinghamshire Senior League
Premier Division
Att: 115
Programme: Available in clubhouse at bar
Coffee £1
A last gasp goal saw Southwell City jump up to the top of the Premier Division in a top of a table clash against local rivals Bingham Town.

Before kick off with both the line ups got and a couple of cups of coffee and chat with both committee and supporters, Southwell City manager Jon Upton kindly donated £4 to the Charity Blog.

The match began in a swerling wind blowing down the pitch towards the clubhouse end and the action was flowing from end to end, but on 13 minutes a routine backpass to the Southwell keeper saw him kicking fresh air, as the ball drifted in to the net to give Bingham a early lead.

On 20 minutes, the visitors doubled their lead when EUAN SWEETING fired home after a good move that beat the homesters offside trap.

Southwell pulled themselves back in to the game on 26 minutes when CALUM LAW  fired home from a free kick.

The Second Half saw Bingham pushing for the third goal, but it was BRADLEY PEACE-McDONALD who cut in from the wing and slotted home to make it 2-2.

The play went from end to end with both sides going for the points and chances for both sides went a miss before Bingham retook the lead on 69 minutes through JAKE HARDY. As the clock was counting down, it looked like the visitors were to return home with the three points, but from a corner in injury time, BRADLEY PEACE-McDONALD scrambled the ball home.

Must mention match Referee Pete Craggs who I felt controlled the game well and must thank him for a lift to and from the match. I must also thank Bingham Town's number fan ALAN(who didnt grumble at me today) and kindly donated £10 to the Charity Blog which is in aid of NOTTINGHAM STROKE CLUB, the running total with both Alan and Jon's donations and the 6 goals scored at today match stands at a great £609.25p.

May I also point you to the match photos taken by Bingham Town FC's Official Photographer Geoff Cameraman, any photos used MUST acknowledge him. The photos can be found on this LINK


Samba Nottinghamshire Senior League
Premier Division
Att: 51
My first match of the new decade saw me head to the Strand, the home of Attenborough FC were hosting local rivals Sandiacre Town FC, only 7 days before the two teams had met at St Giles Park where Town had run out 4-1 victors.

With me in a sling there was no camera due to my collarbone and this will prove the case for around another five weeks to come, so I only took a couple of photos with my mobile, but found this hard to do.

The game kicked off and within 7 minutes, it looked like the Blues of Attenborough were out for revenage on last weeks defeat as they took the lead with a lovely curled placed shot by KEIRAN WHALIN. By the 13th minute, TOM O REGAN doubled the home sides advantage with a carbon copy of the first goal to make it 2-0.

Sandiacre after a slow start began to come more in to the game and pushed forward and got themselves back in to the match when reducing the arrears on 37 minutes through JORDAN LEONARDI.

The Second Half kicked off and it was soon end to end and important to the game who was going to score the next goal, to which in the 59th minute JACK WARNER pulled it back level for the Town.

This spurred Sandiacre forward and sub THOMAS MELLORS put his side on front on 69 minutes, the home sides heads seemed to be shocked by the turnaround and in the 75th minute, JORDAN LEONARDI extended the visitors advantage to 4-2.

With the clock counting down, Attenborough got a free kick outside the area as the visitors were reduced down to ten men, ADAM MARTIN hit the free kick in to the net to make it 4-3.

Id like to thank match referee Lewis Quayle for the lift to and from the match


Midland & Notts Alliance League
Premier Division
Att: 14

With the wet weather wiping out matches up and down the country, I looked for 3g pitches and any around the Mansfield area as I didnt fancy travelling very far on Christmas Saturday and noticed that Rainworth Seniors FC were hosting Old Boots FC just up the road at Joesph Whittaker School on the newly laid 3g pitch, it was also a venue Id never seen a match, possibly the closest ground to my house Id never been.

With a early morning phone call to Seniors Secretary Luke Whitmore just to check that the ground was open due to the holiday season, a positive reply of game on 2pm kick off was all I needed and a phone call to local hopper Herbie and Sue and they were to meet up with me at the game.

On arrival, I was greeted by both clubs and also found a coffee machine before referee Darren Reynolds let me take a photo of both sides line ups.

The game kicked off and was a very tight affair with the Seniors mainly on the attack but not working the opponents goalkeeper, whilst Boots pushed forward and in the 8th minute, a corner found the head of GREG McLEAN who glanced the visitors in to a early lead.

The action was quite frantic and end to end and on 33 minutes, Rainworth were back on level terms when ASHLEY KEAY found the back of the net.

This pushed Boots in to a quick reaction and within 2 minutes, they had retaken their advantage, when TOM REES turned inside the penalty area and slotted low in to the corner of the net.

The Second Half saw the pace slow down and there was a few niggly tackles and a sort of stop and start half as neither of the teams put their foot on the game, though both sides had chances to add to their goal tally but both keepers were forced in to some excellent saves.

Ref Darren Reynolds had a decent match and only used his card when he needed to, as it wasnt a dirty match and at the end of the game all players returned back to the pub.

99 Photos from the match can be seen on this LINK


Samba Nottinghamshire Senior League
Division One
Played on Pitch 3 @ Basford United FC
Att: 11
Uncertain where to go, I decided to leave it till the last minute and whilst eating my bacon and mushroom sandwich, I got a email to say local referee Colin White was on the above match, so I rang him to see if I could grab a lift off him, which he kindly allowed me.

The game kicked off as these 2 clubs have met each other three times in the past 3 weeks, with Ruddington winning all 3 games 2-1 in different cups and a league meeting.

The First half was very even and both sides had their chances, but nothing for the keepers to save, but on 27 minutes, a break down the left side saw JACK DICKIE dance to the edge of the penalty area before placing the ball home to give the Village a 1-0 lead.

The Second Half saw Ruddington make the brighter start and apply pressure but Ravenshead were soaking it up, until the 55th minute, when Jamie Bennett caught a Village players leg and bought him down. The referee had no choice but to point to the spot, to which DAN NEARY stepped up and dispatched to double his sides lead.

Ravenshead pushed forward and nearly got a goal back when a shot went just wide of the far post, but it was Ruddington again who sealed their fourth win against their opponents when in the 78th minute their sub JAMIE NEEP fired home a lovely shot from the edge of the area to wrap up the points.

107 photos from the match can be seen on this LINK

Samba Nottinghamshire Senior League
Premier Division

I popped in to watch the Second Half of this match as this was a 3pm kick off and at half time the score was level at 0-0 though WPR had missed a first half penalty.

The Second Half kicked off and I stood with Karl White for a quick chat and then went over to the far stand was joined local hoppers Malc Storer and Wayne Morrison and WPR sub Tobias Richardson.

The game was being played at a fast pace with WPR cutting out the chances and Cavs spring the odd counter attack. As Id not started my stopwatch or got the team line ups at the time, Ive no idea what time the goals were scored, though their first goal was scored by CONNOR SCOTT-PARKIN, then MARKEL BAILEY made it 2-0 before club captain CORY JOHNSON completed the goals for the day.

Referee LEWIS QUAYLE kindly gave me a lift back to the pub and donated £10 to the Charity Blog which is in aid of NOTTINGHAM STROKE CLUB. One of the Assistant Officials Scott Anderson kindly gave me a lift home, so can I thank all officials for today.


Central Midlands League
South Division

Many will know I was involved some time ago with Arnold Town FC as Programme Editor and Club Shop Manager back in the 1990's, since that time they have moved from Gedling Road out to Eagle Valley just off the main A614 and they still have their loyal fans that follow them, so it is always nice to catch up with them.

As Id gone to Eagle Valley to watch the NSL match that kicked off at 2pm, this gave me a chance to watch the Second Half of this match above and catch up for a chinwag with folks Ive not seen for a while.

Steve Holland the Arnold Town FC Chairman made me welcome and gave me a cuppa and programme and I ventured out of the clubhouse to watch the Second Half, I soon bumped in to CMFL press officer and long time friend Richard Lane who kindly donated £10 to the Charity. As Steve wouldnt accept any admission off me, I said I would donated £3 to the charity from Arnold Town FC.

Arnold were 1-0 up at half time and Pinxton were pressing hard and got their equaliser and the the Eagles pressed for a winner.

After the match in the clubhouse, I sat with match referee James Tewson and his 2 Assistants Robin Bourne and John Beckett, John also kindly donated £3 to the charity blog sending the running total to a superb amount of £578.75p


Samba Nottinghamshire Senior League
Division One
Att: 21
AFC Top Valley went in to the game with a 100% league record of recording nine wins out of nine and faced a youthful Kimberley Miners Welfare Reserves to attempt to make it ten wins out of ten on the outside pitch at Eagle Valley.

Before the match, photos were taken of the home club and a minutes silence was respectful observed by all following the sad passing of Basford United Community FC's manager Stef  Taylor.

The match kicked off and Top Valley were straight on the front foot and could have gone ahead after just 22 seconds when a ball was blasted wide, but on 93 seconds they did take the lead, when a crossed ball found BENJAMIN CUMMINGS to slide the ball home from close range.

Kimberley fought back hard and had several chances to equal the score, with a save from the Valley keeper, then a Ian Shepherd header that just cleared the crossbar and two dangerous free kicks that didnt avoid the Valley wall.

On 13 minutes, JOE GUNN slipped his defender to fire home and make it 2-0 to the homesters, but Kimberley still pressed forward but really needed a striker who could just put the ball in to the net, as they created quite a few chances.

The Second Half kicked off  and again it was the Valley who were on the front foot and 49 minutes took a 3-0 lead when captain ADAM SPRAKE converted. On the hour came the goal of the game when JOE GUNN smashed the fourth goal from a acute angle leaving the visiting keeper to just watch the ball nestle in the net.

Kimberley kept battling and on 69 minutes, ROWAN SMITH pulled a goal back, but it was then Valley who pressed forward and the visiting keeper to pull off three stunning saves, before  KANE PEARSON netted AFC's fifth of the afternoon.

Kimberley still dont give up but pressing forward this left gaps at the back and JAMIE BILBIE took advantage of this and scored his sides sixth goal and completed the days scoring.

150 photos from the match can be seen on this LINK


Samba Nottinghamshire Senior League
Division Two
Att: 22
Elston play just off London Road in Newark and can be a bit difficult to get to from Mansfield, but through Full Time I get the League emails regarding the appointments of match officials and it came as a surprise that Shirebrook based Gary Bryant was to ref his first NSL game this afternoon at Elston, having known Gary for several seasons, I rang him up and asked if I could travel with him.

The fog was already down on arrival but you could see most of the pitch, so the referee gave the go ahead to the delight of all players from both sides. Elston must have had bad thoughts when they saw me, as everytime Ive seen them, they havent gained a point.

The game began and both sides matched each other but at half time, it remained 0-0 with each goalkeeper only having to make one save a piece. During the half time break the fog began to drift low and there were concerns that the match may well not finish, but credit to the match referee who re started the Second Half.

In the 69th minute, a scramble around the Asha defence finished with ETHAN JONES firing home. The fog was getting worse but the visitors began to take risks by throwing everyone forward and in the final minute, this paid off when JAY COOPER was bought down as he went in to the penalty area and was awarded a lifeline of a penalty to which he duly stepped up and smashed in to the top corner of the net.

Ten minutes after full time whistle, you couldnt see any of the pitch.

I must thank Gary Bryant for the lift from to Shirebrook for me to get to Elston.

121 photos from the match can be seen on this LINK


Samba Nottinghamshire Senior League
Premier Division
With still not well, it was a matter of wanting to stay as local as possible and with games being called off during the morning, I looked at FC Cavaliers v Sandiacre Town where the bus from Mansfield dropped me very close to the Forest Recreaton Ground.

On arrival, the rain had stopped and I soon got the team line ups from both sides and had a chat with todays referee Michael Leslie, before I had a chat with committees from both clubs.

Just before kick off I was joined and spent the match with Wayne Morrison, Cavs had a new look to their side with 3 new signings making their debuts and they began the game on the front foot missing a lot of chances and as they say if you dont convert your chances, the chances are it will come back to haunt you and this was to happen, when on 30 minutes, Sandiacre Town's JORDAN LEONARDI struck a low shot that nestled into the bottom of the net to give the visitors a 1-0 lead.

FC Cavaliers came out the second half and pushed forward but Sandiacre looked more likely to score on the break, meanwhile the sandiacre keeper made 2 very good saves to keep his sides advantage. It didnt look to be Cav's day but on 68 minutes, a well worked move saw KASUM BAYO score at the second attempt from a acute angle to level things up at 1-1.

On 73 minutes, Cavs were in front, the ball was played up the right hand side and as the forward was approaching towards the penalty area, he clashed with the outcoming visiting keeper with the ball ending up at LIAM TAYLOR's feet for him to side foot home. The referee gave the goal from the advantage played and then showed the keeper a yellow card.

The game then seemed to see a few players go down injured and this led to a lot of injury time and this gave Sandiacre Town time to throw everyone forward and with the clock ticking down, they were awarded a late penalty to which BLAISE DURUAKU dispatched to make the final score 2-2.


Nottinghamshire FA Saturday Senior Trophy Quarter Final BLIDWORTH WELFARE RED FC 2 WEST BRIDGFORD AFC 3 With the wife Hazel away at...